Playlist: Christian Tiger School
It’s been a while since I featured a South African artist on TRMB and who better to end that proverbial local drought with than one of the most exciting acts in Cape Town at the moment – Christian Tiger School. Chances are, if there’s a cool party happening in town they’re playing at it and that’s probably why everyone you know and their mother is going to it in the first place. The duo is comprised of Luc Veermeer and Sebastian Zanasi, who I got to interview for Assembly’s website recently, and here’s a taste of what went down:
How’d you come up with the name?
“It was thought of on the spot randomly. We just threw random words around until we came up with something, until Christian Tiger School was born.”
You opened for Little Dragon recently, which was pretty great. Who would you like to open for next?
Seb: “It was an incredible experience, I’ve really enjoyed them for the past few years so yeah it was great. As far as dreaming goes, opening for Nicolas Jaar, Gold Panda, Teebs, Slow Magic or James Blake would be amazing.”
What’s in store for the future of CTS?
Luc: “We’re working on doing a smaller EP for the future that’ll hopefully at least have one singer and one MC, that’s the main goal I guess, to try and collaborate with some people we really enjoy.”
To read the rest of the interview you can head over to Assembly’s website, here, and if reading an interview isn’t a good enough way for you to get to know an artist better, how about listening to their 10 favourite songs at the moment?
1. “A friend recently put me on to this. He said he was going to play it for his baby when its in the womb, a great analogy for all the music that Lemon Jelly did.”
2. “A lot more down tempo than LD’s usual stuff and melodically beautiful.”
3. “Too much great.”
4. “The master of solo jazz guitar off the incredible album ‘Virtuoso'”
5. “The Lo-fi beatsmith. Super forward thinking producer and bad speller. The guitar sample in this is crazy.”
1. “Blu and Flylo what more could you want.”
2. “Goodest goody.”
3. “One of the best musicians ever.”
4. “Killer Duo, good beats good rhymes straight up NY music.”
Oh, and in case you missed it, here’s CTS’s amazing debut album, Third Floor.